Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The phrase "working mother" is redundant


"One of the very few reasons I had any respect for my mother when I was thirteen was because she would reach into the sink with her bare hands - bare hands - and pick up that lethal gunk and drop it into the garbage. To top that, I saw her reach into the wet garbage bag to fish around in there looking for a lost teaspoon. Bare hands - a kind of mad courage." -Robert Fulgham

"To have children is a double living, and earthly fountain of youth, a continual fresh delight, and also a source of weariness beyond descpription." - Josephine W. Johnson

I came home from a long presidency meeting tonight and to my dismay the kids were still awake and gaining momentum. I fought the urge to cry because I was overwhelmed with my new calling and there were dishes in the sink, I can't remember when I last mopped, and we need groceries etc. etc. But my kids were happy and laughing. They'd just had a wonderful evening with their daddy. I guess I just need to be more like Mary and less like Martha. I have that tendency to run around busily and forget that which is most needful. I think all moms do - until they become grandmas and they finally learn how to do it right.

1 comment:

holmesfamily8 said...

I agree! Hang in there, you are doing great! You are a great mom, and I think your house can handle a little less cleaning for a bit. You will be blessed for what you are doing. I can't believe you guys have snow too, we are jealous!!!