*Woke, fed, and dressed children. dropped #1 off at school.
*Fed, showered, dressed, and make-uped myself in between requests for juice and dinosaur train.
*Made 4 loaves of bread, and 4 dozen cookies.
*Made lunch.
*Drop of loaves of bread to friends houses with the swine flu.
*Went on field trip with a gazillion 2nd graders for 2 hours in a Corn Maze. Headache!
*Watch neices, and nephew for the rest of the afternoon. 6 kids total.
*Started reading my scriptures while on the couch during quiet time. Fell asleep on couch till I heard screaming.
*Attend "School community council" meeting for PTA.
*Make dinner.
*Attend Relief Society meeting.
*Work out. Run on eliptical 2.5 miles. Weights 20 minutes.
*Work on my transcriptions.
*Fall into bed (I've yet to do this).
I'm sparing the details even! Scatter in phone calls, referee-ing, cleaning house.... No wonder I "never get anything done." I'm too busy! How does one slow herself down, so she can focus on the essentials? I just read my friends blog and her 2 year old knows the alphabet! The alphabet, AND she's practically potty trained. I know we're not supposed to compare, but how can I not? My nearly 4 year old doesn't know the alphabet, and trust me, he's barely potty trained.
You know. It's good to get slapped in the face with a wake up call every once in a while. I've got to figure this out. If you seasoned moms out there have any advice I'd sure appreciate it. How do you get it all done? What are your days like? How do you organize your time? What is the secret?
11 comments:
SHOOT! And here I was feeling pretty good that I had put on a sweater to cover up the fact that I didn't wear a bra to take my kids to school! Oh, I also ate some chocolate almonds and blogged about ice cream - so all in all, not a total loss today (it's not yet 10 in the morning and already I've determined that we are getting NOTHING else done today).
As for the 2 year old genius - it is probably their first child (first of all) and secondly - here is the thing - do you ever hear adults saying "Well, I was potty trained and knew my WHOLE alphabet by 2 years old!"? If you do hear them say that do you ever think, "Oh my heck, you are SO COOL!!!" No, you think - - just go get a t-shirt that says "PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!! I NEED VALIDATION!!!" My best friend from high school had a baby 2 days before Tanner was born. Her baby walked at 7 months - Tanner, if you remember was NEARLY 17 months! I was FREAKED! But guess what? Tanner walks - just fine in fact - I mean NOW he does. It's all relative - and most of it comes out in the wash (plus the more you know when you start the big K - the more bored you are - and who wants to teach their child to be bored at school their first year there?)
I love you. You already have a small idea of how amazing you are just in the fact that you are the daughter of Susan Holmes - and that girl is smart (and she could care less if the dishes are done).
it's nice to know that you have days like i do. but much more productive. i am no parenting expert by any means, just look at my almost 5 year old who has a serious attitude right now, my messy house, my 2 year old crying right now because he wants to watch a "show" instead of napping. the one think i've figured out is this, something always suffers. it may seem like someone else has it all together and can do it all, but they can't. what in their life is suffering because of it? is it their kids behavior? their relationship with their husband? their spiritual life? you get the picture. you do a great job with what you have and how you think is the best way, for you and your family.
don't be so hard on your self. keep up the good work!
You're amazing. Thank you, THANK YOU for the bread!!
You're too hard on yourself. I don't know what you mean by not getting anything done. Sounds to me like you got A LOT done! service included! Don't equeate your children's ablitites with your quality of motherhood. Look at the difference between my children. Remember Andrew at two -and Claire hardly is understandable. Probably a little to do with birth order like your other friend said. Anyway, if there's something you really want to get done (that's not on your post) it always helps me to make a list of want to do's, have to do's and would like to do someday. as long as I'm working on something on the list I feel better. I also think you need a little time to do NOTHING. Take time for yourself and take comfort in ALL the things you do for others, that you are really serving the Lord. (if that came out right?) DOn't forget you're wonderful.
Did we tell you yet that you and Eric are to be guardians of all 8 of our kids should we both die? Just letting you know...
You are a great mom! Don't be so hard on yourself, seriously. Think of your life in 40 years, you will miss these days.
This doesn't help with mothering/organizing at all, but rest assured knowing you are truly one of the classiest people out there--and everything you do, you do with style!!! K3S9IX
if chris and juliette ever croaked i would deffinetly move down there to help with all 11 kids.
Hey, I loved your post and I loved the comments too. I wish I could get this much done in a day, how are YOU so incredible??? :)
You forget that your friend with the 20 month old ONLY HAS the 20 month old...and no side jobs or pets or friends with swine flu...
I have all day to teach her words and numbers and proper disposal of fecal matter.
Just wait - if I ever get up to 3, I won't even be blogging anymore!
Love you Amy!
Hi Amy!
I was just thinking about this. I started to blog about it but got distracted with other random thoughts. I don't know how some people seem to be able to work, serve in a calling, make all their Christmas gifts from scratch, do crafts with their kids, bake, own a Beehive, can fruit in the fall (ok now I'm thinking I'm funny) but on and on.
Oh, and how do they do all of this and BLOG about it all?? It doesn't seem possible!!!
I usually don't even know what day it is.
I love reading your blog! It is fabulous.
AMEN, to everyone else's comments. I have random days where I feel just as unaccomplished as you, but then all I have to do is replay my day in my mind (or sometimes out loud to a friend) and I remember that I am not in a mental institution, my children are alive, our house has not burned down and I HAVE accomplished. Life is so crazy & I 100% agree with Wendy. Something ALWAYS suffers, each persons thing is different. It's just a matter of if we can seem to figure out each person's "I don't care" thing. Or not, because do you want everyone else knowing the things you let slide. I don't ;) You are AMAZING, I've always thought that!
Post a Comment