Monday, May 24, 2010

Grateful for Healthy Boys

Last week was a horrible week for our family. It started out on Monday morning when Asher woke up with a slight fever. I gave him some Motrin, he perked right up, and we went on with our day. Till naptime. I put him down around 1:30, and finally at 5:30 I got suspicious and went to check on him. I woke him up and he was burning with fever. I undressed him, got him some juice, and put him out on the front porch loveseat to cool off. I was concerned, so I left Judson with him while I went inside to put dinner in the oven. Seconds later, Judson came running in, "Mom! Asher is shaking really bad!" I ran outside and saw the most horrible sight a mother can see. He looked like he was possessed, eyes rolled back, lips blue, and arms shaking up and down succinctly and stiffly. Immediately terror and tears. I grabbed him, yelled for Judson to get the phone, and called 911. The dispatcher was very calm and got the information as I tried to hold it together. It's difficult for me to write about those moments. Words can't describe the horror. He had juice in his throat still and I heard it gurgling, so I wasn't sure he was even breathing. Finally, I heard him breathing through his nose and the dispatcher helped me calm while he finished seizing.

The paramedics arrived shortly after. Judson hailed them to our house. He was such a hero that day. He truly saved the day. Watching over Asher in the first place, finding the phone so quickly, standing by for my every order, "Run and get Sue (neighbor) to watch you while I go with the ambulance!" He stood there so scared for his baby brother, but didn't let that paralyze him. He was amazing. Noah, on the other hand, was clueless. He just didn't get it. He started laughing because he thought Asher was being funny. Which horrified Judson, so he yelled, "It's NOT FUNNY Noah!" I was so focused on Asher that I blocked all that out, but looking back, I can see how it would be funny to a 4-year-old.

The paramedics arrived and immediately put oxygen on Asher as I held him there on the front porch. He was so still and out of it. They snapped their fingers and he barely responded. They said that having a seizure is like running a marathon, and it totally exhausts the body. His fever was 102. My neighbors arrived and my sister-in-law drove up with Matt just in time for us to leave. Which was Heaven sent, so I wouldn't worry about leaving my boys or the silly dinner burning in the oven, causing another emergency call! I called Eric, and the poor guy got the phone call every parent dreads. He was on his commute home and heard my shaky voice telling him to meet me at the hospital. He said that, at that point, he didn't care about the speed limit. He told himself that if he was pulled over he would just explain and beg the police man to help him get to the hospital. He made it to the hospital the same time WE did. Seriously, he was there just after I got out of the ambulance. I was stunned, and so grateful to have him there.

Asher wouldn't let them put him on the stretcher to take him in. I've never seen him so mad to be taken from my arms. He wanted nothing but Mommy, so I held him as we went into the ER. I held him the whole time and he drifted in and out of sleep. The doctor came in and explained to us about febrile seizures. Apparently, they happen in about 5% of toddlers when they have a fever spike, and they cause no harm. My heart felt such relief! It does NOT mean that he is epileptic. Once a toddler has had one, their chances of having another increase if their temperatures spike rapidly again, until about age 5, when they just stop. We stayed in the ER until his fever came down, and then we were released with smiles and a little teddy bear.

I felt such relief, but the rest of the week, every time Asher suddenly moved, I about had a heart attack. His fever didn't subside until Thursday! We fought it 24/7 with Motrin and Tylenol, baths, fans, washcloths, and blessings. I was so scared he'd have another seizure. We never figured out what caused his illness.We are supposing it was just a random virus, because he had no other symptoms. Judson and Noah had brief similar symptoms that week as well, but spaced out so I could stay sane, thank heavens.

So, there you have it. One more chapter in our adventures in parenting. And, why I'm so grateful for a busy, happy, healthy, all over the place little boy. As I watched him wrestling around and laughing last night, I was filled with joy and relief. I love my little boys so so dearly.

9 comments:

~j. said...

Oh, Amy! My heart was racing for you as I read your words. So grateful everything is alright now. I hope you have a peaceful, stress-free week.

Unknown said...

Amy, this is such a scary thing. I experienced this with my little niece last summer on my mother's birthday. It is such a scary thing to watch, especially with an infant or toddler! She has had several fevers since, but not seizures!

I'm so glad Asher is doing better.

Kara said...

I"m glad to hear Asher is feeling better. What a heart-stopping story. Congratulations on making it through Momma!

chelsea mckell said...

oh my word! I shouldn't have read this - it's not healthy for my heart rate to spike that high! so so so glad they're all okay now. Major kudos to Mr. J!

summer said...

What a chain of events that happened all so quickly. I'm so thankful that is all is well in your family - Judson did handle everything like such a grown-up (actually better than I would have..I would have just panicked!) - what a blessing to have the tender mercies of the Lord even in that moment where all seemed to be falling apart.

Blessings to your family - may all be well as you continue to enjoy the moments with your wonderful boys! You always have such a great outlook on motherhood...I just get so uplifted hearing your voice through your writing...thank you!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

Sometimes I wish you weren't such a great writer - I did NOT want to LIVE that! I'm so sorry for you! I'm proud of Judson - isn't it great to have a helper - someone who senses the gravity of the situation and supports you? Thank goodness for big kids - and thank goodness for little kids too - I'm glad that Noah didn't get it - innocence is VERY OFTEN bliss!

My sisters daughter had febrile seizures from 2-6 but is now 15 and normal - like nothing ever happened. My sister, on the other hand, is emotionally damaged for LIFE!!!

I'm glad you are all feeling better - and I wish wellness on you. I am going to say a prayer of thanks for our own health right now!!!

holmesfamily8 said...

I had no idea it was such an ordeal Amy! Goodness, I am so glad Judson was there to help you. What a great older brother he is! Glad it is all over, here is to no more ER for either of us for a LONG time!

Karen said...

So sorry you had to go through this. Glad everything is ok now. (I admit I had some tears as I read this)

(I'm Emily's Mom)

Cherine said...

Oh my goodness how scary! So glad he is happy and healthy!!! Cute boys by the way!!!!!