Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Condensed Version

-Had a computer, starting to slowly die.
-Have a husband talented enough to reformat it, who started to, but needed a few new parts.
-Computer left slightly taken apart.
-Ultra curious 8-year-old sees computer and thinks to himself, "Mom and Dad have been talking about getting a new computer. They must have decided to get one, because this one is certainly broken. I'm going to take it apart and have some fun!"
-Boy dismantles computer. Parts everywhere.
-Boy feels the tingling of spirit. Thinks to himself, "Self? Should I ask Mom if this is ok?"
-Boy asks mom, "Mom, can I take apart the computer since it's broken anyway?"
-Mom shrieks, "NO! Daddy is going to fix it. DON'T TOUCH IT!"
-Boy's face goes white. Then, green.
-Mom shrieks again, "You did it already, didn't you!"
-Boy starts to cry, "Yes!"
-Mom starts to cry.....(I was sick thinking of all the possible lost pictures and data. Thankfully, the hard drive was still intact).

.....and the rest of the story is we have to hire someone to extract everything from the hard drive, which thankfully wasn't damaged, then purchase a new computer. Not good timing for us right now. We are trying so hard not to go into debt. So, that is why I have been living off of Eric's work laptop and my blessed ipod touch. That is why I am months behind. But, you know what? I'm still so grateful for that curious little boy. He may be a handful when it comes to curiousity, but he has the most amazingly genuine heart. I adore him. I'd rather have him than all the computers in the world, so patient and content with my lot I will be. For I have a boy with a brave, honest, genuinely pure lion heart and that's all a mom can ask for.

4 comments:

Melonie Harris said...

glad to see your still alive!!!Too Bad we didn't live closer because Matt could have fixed your comp for you!!!Dang it!!

Kara said...

Someday that curiosity is going to come in handy, and when we are all thankful for some technological gizmo that he's invented, YOU'll say, "THAT'S MY BOY!" :)

Kudos to you for not wanting to go in debt, even for a computer. I am very impressed Mrs. Hunter.

Perfectly Imperfect said...

Yikes.

I feel for you...

Lisa said...

I don't know if you've already scrapped it, but Keith rebuilt our computer (he did 3 yrs as a computer engineer undergrad) maybe he can help?? Let me know!