Wednesday, February 13, 2008

From A New Mother

My Child was born last night.
And since that hour my self-sufficient pride and will have fled.
The power which once I felt within my grasp is humbled in the wonder of it all-
This miracle, that mortals should have the grace to bring to earth a soul- near divine.
Emotions, which were flaunted then so bold,
Have learned to loose their tears in quiet pain.
Compassion fills my soul for other’s grief;
My fellow man is dearer than before.
This precious being, helpless in my arms,
Has turned my unskilled hands to trust in God… and now my heart can pray.
My child was born last night – and I today.

-Jeanette B. Jarvis


I've always adored this poem, because it truly describes how it feels to hold your new born baby in your arms and realize the magnitude of ones calling as mother. I am humbled and grateful I get to be one.

No comments: