Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Fallacy - def: a misconception resulting from incorrect reasoning







OK! I WAS WRONG! HE's INNOCENT!!
I'm really sorry Judson. It must be difficult being the first child, the guinea pig per say, who has to be the one your parents make all the mistakes on. I really thought he was faking it. I even made him do extra chores yesterday - OH, the guilt is killing me!!!
Then, last night, just before we were about to leave for a fun family outing, Judson starts to cry and hold his ear, "It really hurts Mom! It really hurts!!!"
I called and got him an appointment at our pediatric on-call clinic for 9:30pm. Eric, bless him, takes him and 2 hours later, at 11:30 pm, they emerge with a diagnosis of a seriously painful ear infection.
The lesson I learned? Well, I have a feeling that Judson told me he was all right because, when I probed him, I started out by saying, "Judson, I really need you to tell me the truth. Does your ear really hurt? Because, I could use the money I would spend at the doctor's office to help buy birthday presents for you. So, tell me the truth!"
To all you Mom's out there: learn from my mistake. Threatening your kids with less presents will only get them to tell you what they think you want to hear. If you want the truth? Beats me! I only know what doesn't work!
My self-inflicted punishment? NO NAP FOR ME TODAY.

5 comments:

chelsea mckell said...

oh wow. great story. thank you for the free entertainment.
that poor child.... suffering from being the child of an imperfect mother... I would chastise you further, but I need to go change the dirty diaper my child has been sitting in for longer than I care to admit... tell ya what - you don't call DCFS on me, I won't call them on you.


and yes - found renters - a nice lady named Susan Davis. Very active - you should see her at church soon. Empty nester, mother of 10. Widowed and/or divorced, not sure which.

Naomi & Greg said...

I'm so glad you found us!!! Your boys are beyond adorable! And you and Eric both look great. What a fun family. We miss you too. I haven't seen Kristy's blog in ages since she made it private and don't even have her url anymore so I'm glad you sought us out. Please feel free to email if you want npforsyth@sbcglobal.net

Naomi & Greg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eric Hunter said...

Judson was his normal self that night. After sitting in the exam room for about a half hour he said, "Where is that doctor?! I'm going to find out what is going on." Then he opened the door, marched up to the desk and said, "Excuse me, but we have been waiting a long time and I want to know when the doctor will come in." It totally cracked me up because that is how Judson is pure and simple--he is very direct and has no fear of speaking his mind with an adult. It was a pleasure to spend a couple of hours talking to him. I just wish he hadn't had a sore ear.

holmesfamily8 said...

That is too funny Amy! I can totally see why you would think he was faking though, he kind of has a history of pretending to be hurt for fun and he was acting normal for the most part! Jackson is famous for going to the nurses office with a "stomach ache" and he sounds so pathetic that I usually go get him. Then he comes home and of course is all ready to have fun. Oh well, you live and learn!