We love to watch nature shows as a family. Infact, we like them so much we bought the series by BBC called "Planet Earth" and also "Blue Planet." They are incredibly entertaining, fascinating, awe-inspiring, etc.etc. Basically, we just love them. I'll give a warning though, it is difficult to watch the struggle for survival as the food chain plays its role. As you watch, you pray for the little baby antelope to outrun the predator wolf, or for the sick, old seal to somehow escape the ferocious polar bear. But, that is how it is. The sad reality is that only the strong survive.
My brother and I were talking on Sunday night and he mentioned something he learned in a fireside he had attended. It struck me with great force, especially since we are so ingrossed in these nature shows. He said that the speaker told them to think of Satan as a hungry wolf, and we, ofcourse, as Jesus told us, are the sheep. The wolf is smart, he carefully watches the herd, scanning for the weak, the careless, and the young. Waiting for the "fence-sitters" to stray far enough for an easy catch. The wolf knows his chances are small with the biggest, strongest, or the furthest from him.
I know we've all seen or heard this analogy before, but for some reason it really sunk in this time. I want my family, and MYSELF as well, to be the sheep in the center, far from the danger. To be the sheep that follow the call of the shepherd to safety. I see it so often, especially since Eric works with the youth in our ward, that the weak ones are most often the ones that fall into Satan's grasp. It is devastating to watch them make stupid choices and to envision where the path they are choosing will take them. Equally, it fills us with joy to see the youth who are doing just the opposite. I want to rush to them and bouy them up. I especially feel a strong desire the gather my little ones around me, as a hen gathers her chicks, until they are strong enough to survive. Because in times such as we live in now, it is absolutely true that only the strong will survive. Wo unto those who are at ease in Zion, because now is the time to be fortifying our children, and ourselves with the sheilds of faith, virtue, and righteousness. We must wake up and shake the dust off our feet. For we shall enternally regret our omissions if we do not.
I hope this doesn't sound preachy, for I am writing this to and for myself. As I watch my Judson get nearer and nearer to the age of accountability, I am frightened that I have not instilled enough into him. I am awakened to my duty to open my eyes to the dangerous spiritual predator and to protect my little ones and provide them with the training to make it back home.
2 comments:
Great post. Very timely for me to read tonight.
And I totally know whatcha mean - I just got "Africa the Serengeti" from the library... I totally was rooting for the wildebeest. But alas, the Cheetah won. Unlike Satan though, the Cheetahs and lions don't hunt for enjoyment or malice. They simply want to feed themselves and their family.
I also love Planet Earth. It's amazing! and, Dave and I were just talking about this LAST NIGHT. Amazing again! Either the gospel is true, or it isn't. Either we live it TO THE FULLEST or we don't. The fact is, it's FACT, not a fairy tale. The Book of Mormon and the Bible are not books written for entertainment. They are HISTORY and whether we believe it or not (and we DO), the prophesies of old (and new) are going to happen. And where we are in the herd is up to us. I don't know the perfect analogy for this one, but EVERYONE can be in the middle of the herd with no outsiders. Elder Holland said a couple of years ago that life isn't a race where there has to be a loser. Everyone can win and it's up to us to buoy each other up. GREAT POST. LOVED IT.
Post a Comment