Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Little Amy and Her Beloveds

This is me, age 5, in my fabulous knickers and my amazing (you can't see it) unicorn rainbow belt, along with my big brother Chris and our wonderful grandparents. I love this picture. It was taken the summer before my dear sweet Grandma Pauline passed away from breast and bone cancer. A looming threat to all the women of my family, obviously. In fact, you can kind of see it on her face, that it was painful for her to be kneeling down here. She was such an amazing woman.
This is a picture of a picture that my talented sister-in-law just emailed me. I was thrilled to have it and to share. Both my grandparents are gone now. They were there to welcome my mom when she crossed through the veil, I'm sure. My mom told me, about a week before she passed, that she kept seeing her mom in the room. I was in denial at the time and blamed it on the drugs, but I know better now. I feel very protected knowing these wonderful people are on my side, on the other side.

p.s. my big brother Chris is still alive and kickin', just wanted to clarify :)

4 comments:

holmes said...

that turned out really good!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

It's not fair that, as a child, you have Grandparents and Great Grandparents and Parents, and NO appreciation for how great you have it. I wish I would have hugged a little longer - even when I was choking on the smell of perfume that Grandma Honey put on until SHE could smell (eyes tearing at 30 feet). I miss Grandparents. They just loved you like no one else can...

KatandBlue said...

Grandparents are amazing. I wish I was brave enought to take the time and record their stories. Especially our world war veterans. (Unfortunately the veterens of my families are gone.)
Very cool picture!

PS: I love that you love Zayla! If you ever need her over for a "daughter moment" just let me know! :)

Kara said...

This makes me miss my own Grandparents who are still alive, and cherish the visits we have had the last few times we've been back to UT. It also makes me miss the Grandparents I never knew. Thanks, Amy, for this great inspiration. *sniff*