In our religion, children are invited to be baptized at age eight. At that time they are also given a blessing from a priesthood holder to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, which is promised to be a constant companion, if we do our part and strive to live worthy of his presence:
"The gift of the Holy Ghost quickens all the intellectual faculties, increases, enlarges, expands, and purifies all the natural passions and affections, and adapts them, by the gift of wisdom, to their lawful use. It inspires, develops, cultivates and matures all the fine-toned sympathies, joys, tastes, kindred feelings, and affections of our nature. It inspires virtue, kindness, goodness, tenderness, gentleness, and charity. It develops beauty of person, form and features. It tends to health, vigor, animation, and social feeling. It invigorates all the faculties of the physical and intellectual man. It strengthens and gives tone to the nerves. In short, it is, as it were, marrow to the bone, joy to the heart, light to the eyes, music to the ears, and life to the whole being." (Parley P. Pratt, Key to the Science of Theology, Deseret Book, 1978, p. 61.)
Eric and I were discussing Judson's up and coming baptism last night, and we feel a strong desire to prepare him well for the promises he will make, and the Gift he will receive. We have some ideas in mind, but we'd love suggestions of how to make this day most memorable for him!
Save the date for Saturday March 27th!
Neal A Maxwell said, "The gift of immortality to all mankind through the reality of of the Resurrection is so powerful a promise that our rejoicing in this great and generous gift should drown out any sorrow, assuage any grief, conquer any mood, dissolve and despair, and tame any tradgedy. Those who now see life as pointless will one day point with adoration to the performance of the Man of Galilee in those crowded moments of time known as Gethsemane and Calvary. Those who presently say life is meaningless will yet applaud the Atonement which saves us from meaninglessness. Christ's victory over death ended the human predicament. Now there are only personal predicaments, and from these too we may be rescued by following the teachings of him who rescued us from general extinction."
Special thanks to my dear friend and mission companion Zee for these awesome quotes. I love them, thanks for letting me borrow.
5 comments:
Thanks!!! I am in charge of FHE tonight on BAPTISM! and you just wrote my lesson for me! Camilla is getting Baptised on March 6th - which reminds me - I need your address...
I can't believe it is coming up so quickly! I might have to just send Chris and a couple of kids if I am still recovering.
Is he 8 already??? WHAT? And how did I miss this from a week ago?
Hee hee hee...I still remember the evening Eric proposed to you and now the two of you have an 8 year-old! Where has time gone? I just saw a fun baptism gift idea of a CTR bath towel with a cute little poem attached. Here's the link where the directions can be found: http://eoberrys.blogspot.com/2010/01/ctr-towel-quick-tutorial.html
Hi Amy! I am on the same page because Ethan is getting baptized April 11, and I also feel like I need to do some prep with him this month. One thing we are going to do is take him on a special date and have a birds and bees talk. I read a book about making it an exciting, positive thing and 8 is the best age. So that is my two cents. If you come across any ideas give me a shout, I'm excited for these sweet boys, exciting stuff for them!
Post a Comment