I used to be a very active blogger, and my heart still yearns to be one, but for now my computer is being put to an acutely important cause. I thought I'd share why: About 6 months after my mother passed away (2 1/2 years ago), my father received a job offer down here in Salt Lake. It was heaven sent, so he packed his bags and moved in with us temporarily till he could sell his house in Idaho and move my youngest siblings down with him.
Well, things didn't work out as envisioned, and the Lord has his own plan. The house remains unsold, the family remains seperated, my father remains here in our home. It has worked out fairly well for us. We were blessed when we bought this home that it had a little guest cottage out in the backyard, used as a studio by the former owners, and that is where my Dad sleeps. It doesn't have a bathroom, the only drawback, but it is comfortable enough. It has been very difficult for my younger siblings to lose both parents, essentially, so we have begged them to move down here to Utah as well. After Graduation last summer ('09) my brother Matt moved in with us and took our spare room downstairs. It has been a delight to have him here! He is preparing to put his papers in and we are so excited for him. My other two siblings, Sherie (21) and Robbie (18) have chosen to stay up in Idaho where they are close to extended family and dear neighbors who look out for them. Our neighbors are God's angel's on earth. They check on them, invite them over for dinner, make sure they are eating well. I feel I owe them immensely.
Two months ago my discouraged Dad received even more bad news, he was being layed-off. So, now he is unemployed and even more desperate to sell his house. He spends his mornings here at my home searching for work on-line, attending web-inars, and going to the employment center. The economy has hit our family hard. Dad is a mechanical engineer, which is normally a very stable job, but with the money freeze, new building projects are at an all time low, and engineers are suffering along with construction workers, architects, etc...
There are good things, things to be very thankful for, that bring hope to the situation. The first one being that my Dad is very happily in love with a wonderful woman. Her name is Julie and we all really love her. She has been a huge blessing for Dad. She is his whole world and he adores her, which makes us very happy. It's a cute story because Julie was one of my mom's dear dear friends in high school, and a few weeks before my mom passed I found Julie's phone number and called her out of the blue to reunite her with my mom before she died. They hadn't seen each other for 20 years, and my mom always spoke so highly of her. Julie called my mom and they spoke for quite a while. I think my mom hand picked "Miss Julie" (that's what I nicknamed her) for my Dad, but that's a whole other blog story...
The other good thing is that this situation is teaching us a huge lesson in patience. Which is something you should never ever pray for, you know! ;) I listened to Elder Uchtdorf's priesthood session talk on patience last night, and I was extremely boosted. I know that the Lord is aware of our situation and that he has blessings prepared. If we do our part and bear our afflictions with patience, I know he will make them lighter. I have felt that. I hope that my family feels that. Ether 12:4 "Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God."
We are going to hang in there, work as hard as we can to make things better, and then put the rest in the hands of the Lord. I have great hope, and always will, that things will get better, that we will look back on these times and say, "Ahhh...Now I know why we had to go through that. Look how much stronger we are because of it."
10 comments:
That is painful. I AM glad that your dad isn't as lonely as he used to be - the fact that Miss Julie knew your mom (and loved her as did EVERYONE who was blessed to know your mom) is even better. I just hope the home sells and things begin to sort out. We would buy his home if we didn't already own TWO in this area - want to buy a vacant home in IF?
For the record, I never prayed for patience. So what the heck?
Amy!! You guys are so incredible. Everything will work out, I know it. Sometimes we have to wait for certain blessings (a LONG time) but they do come. Enjoy the path that gets you there!! Love, Zsuzsanna
AAAMMMMEEENNNN
Oh man i know!! Sheesh why can't things happen the way we want them to?? You all are so wonderful and I love you soo much!! I 'll keep you in my prayers!!! hang in there!!
My grandma always told me never to pray for something I didn't want the Lord to make me learn--her example was patience. I'm sorry for the trials, but totally agree with your last sentence. How many times have we said that to ourselves? Too many to count. I'm sure it'll just keep coming. :) Keep us posted and we'll keep YOU all in our prayers.
If you need more patience I hate to see what is in store for me! You and Eric are doing a great job, hang in there. Love you all and wish we were closer to help more!
I don't know if your father is interested or is just waiting out the economy there in Utah, but Texas economy is doing pretty well. I have seen a lot of houses being built, and other buildings and new businesses go up. There is a huge company here where most of my last ward worked called. LockHead Martin. It is a big aeronautical engineering company but it is huge and is always hiring. I have met couples who just moved here who got jobs in the past couple of months. It is a great company. Any who if he was interested but I know Texas would split your family up even more. So I am not sure he would want to look way out here.
You guys are great examples. The Lord has great blessings in store for y'all!!! XOXO
My dad went through a tough time a few years ago when he lost his job went through a very ugly divorce, and lost his brother in less than a year. There were some very dark times before things started looking up, but the good news is that today he has a great, stable job with the state and I now have a wonderful stepmother. It's not easy starting over in your late 50's/early 60's but my dad is proof it's possible! I hope things turn around soon for your dad as well.
Even though you would probably never admit it, you have really stepped up to the plate to be a second mother to your younger siblings. Just because I know how wonderful you are, I will guess they have probably been really blessed by your "mothering" influence.
I happened to scroll down to the bottom of your blog looking for the comment link and saw the lovely picture of your mom. I noticed her birthday is coming up soon, right around Mother's Day. I'm sending lots of virtual hugs your way for the next week or two!
Note to self: never pray for patience. Or humility. Or anything that could possibly bring trials into my life. I will gain strength and wisdom vicariously through simply reading your blog.
Which I hope you continue to update! Please! It's our only connection! :)
I would love to hear more about the Miss Julie story. So sweet. Brian's grandpa is having a very similar experience now - remarrying to a college friend after his wife died, and some family members aren't supportive of it. But I love your attitude - just gotta be happy that THEY are happy!
Post a Comment